See the nutritional information
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2.5 lbs) peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stems fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3-4 cups water
- 2 cups Silk Original or Vanilla soy, almond, or coconutmilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp toasted sliced almonds for garnish
- Heat a 5-quart soup pot over medium-low heat; add olive oil and heat for 1 minute.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add apple, squash, thyme, bay leaf, nutmeg and enough water to cover ingredients. Turn heat to medium-high and cook for 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender.
- Stir in Silk and heat through.
- Remove from heat, remove thyme stems and bay leaf and allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- In two to three separate batches, purée soup in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Return to saucepan and reheat.
- Add nutmeg and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in warm bowls garnished with toasted sliced almonds.