+ slow cooking
See the nutritional information
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large green or red pepper, diced
- 1/2 lb (1 package) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups Silk Original soymilk
- 8 oz soy cheddar cheese (or regular)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups wild rice cooked to package directions OR 1 cup wild rice and 1 cup white rice uncooked with 1 1/2 cups water
Dish up your review
Wild Rice Mushroom CasseroleMichigan
Good!I made this recipe except I didn't cook it in the slow cooker. I didn't read the recipe through before I started making it. What a surprise when I got to the end! We ate it the way it was and it was very tasty. Next time I will try the slow cooker method and see what the difference is. I made this as a main vegetarian dish (except I used real cheese and butter) and it was very hearty. I used 1 and 1/2 cups brown rice and 1/2 cup wild rice and it had a great nutty texture. My husband really liked it. I'd make it again.
Wild Rice Mushroom Casserole
Not Thrilled!I feel this recipe has way to much oregano taking away the flavor of the mushrooms. Not sure why the tomatoes are in there either. I believe I could come up with a much better recipe. Won't make again.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and herbs. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the skillet, melt margarine (or butter) and whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk and bring to a low boil, stirring all the while, until mixture thickens.
- Whisk in cheese and stir to make a rich, velvety sauce. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Combine cooked rice with vegetables and fold in cheese.
- Pour into slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.