+ 8 hr to chill
+ 25 min baking
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (or 1 packet)
- 2 1/2 cup whole wheat or spelt flour (plus 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra for kneading)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp hazelnut syrup, optional
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1/4 tsp hazelnut syrup or vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Additional chopped hazelnuts for topping
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Heat almondmilk for about 40 seconds in the microwave; you want it warm, but not scalding hot. Stir in yeast and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, applesauce, and hazelnut syrup, if using.
- Add in almondmilk and yeast mixture. Stir or mix in electric mixer until dough comes together. It’s okay if it’s still a little sticky at this point.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread a clean, flat surface with flour. Adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking, knead dough until it forms a nice smooth and slightly elastic ball.
- Using a rolling pin, spread the dough into a rectangle. The dough should be about 1/2-inch thick.
- Melt margarine (or butter) and stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture liberally over the rolled dough. Top with hazelnuts.
- Starting from the skinny end of the dough rectangle, roll the dough tightly toward the other end.
- Slice the roll into about 1 1/2-inch strips, discarding the ends if necessary.
- Grease a 9" x 9" baking dish and line rolls in pan. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake your cinnamon rolls, preheat the oven to 350°F and let the rolls come to room temperature.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar, almondmilk, and hazelnut syrup or vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Chocolate Topping
- Melt margarine (or butter), then stir in chocolate chips. Heat in microwave a few seconds at a time until chocolate melts enough to blend smoothly.
- Pour icing and chocolate over cinnamon rolls.
- Top with additional toasted hazelnuts.