- 1 (1 lb) pack gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup Silk 2g Sugar Protein Nutmilk
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 (12oz) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup soft sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp liquid aminos
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cook pasta and prepare eggplant
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss 2 Tbsp of salt with cubed eggplant, and allow the eggplant to sweat for about 15 minutes. Rinse eggplant thoroughly and drain in a colander. Pat dry to remove excess moisture.
- Prepare pasta sauce
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small skillet, and sauté the onions and garlic with 1/4 tsp of salt for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Allow the onions to cool slightly, and then transfer them to the blender.
- Add the Silk, canned tomatoes and their juices, roasted bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, liquid aminos and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Blast on high for 30-60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and sauté the eggplant for about 10 minutes until soft and tender. Reduce heat to low, add the cooked pasta, pour in the pasta sauce, and stir together until heated through.
- Stir through the chopped parsley, then season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.